The Air Navigation Services Division of SCAA is responsible for the provision of a safe, effective and efficient air navigation service within the Seychelles Flight Information Region (FIR). This flight information region covers an area of approximately 2.63 million square kilometers and borders the flight information regions of Kenya, Somalia, India, Mauritius, Madagascar and Tanzania.
The ATM Sub-Division is further divided into three sections as follows:
The Air Traffic Services (ATS)
The ATS is responsible for the provision of air traffic control service, flight information service and alerting service to aircraft operating within the Seychelles FIR. The services are provided by competent air traffic Controllers who are trained and licenced in accordance with regulations derived from international standards.
These Controllers manage a total of four ATS units described below:
- Area Control Centre: Responsible for the provision of area control service to aircraft operating on ATS routes in the Seychelles flight information region excluding the terminal control area.
- Approach Control Unit: Responsible for the provision of approach control service to aircraft arriving to and departing from Seychelles International Airport excluding the Mahe and Praslin Towers Control Zones. This Unit is also responsible to provide air traffic control service to all flights over flying and operating at other aerodromes within the terminal control area.
- Mahe Control Tower: Responsible for the provision of aerodrome control service to aircraft operating in and out of Seychelles International Airport.
- Praslin Control Tower: Responsible for the provision of aerodrome control service to aircraft operating in and out of Praslin aerodrome.
Aeronautical Information Service (AIS)
The AIS is responsible for the provision of aeronautical data and aeronautical information necessary for the safety, regularity and efficiency of air navigation within the Seychelles FIR.
This is achieved by receiving, collating, formatting, editing and publishing these aeronautical data and information relating to permanent or temporary changes in respect of all ATS stations under the control of SCAA, other airport operators and the Seychelles FIR.
Search and Rescue (SAR)
The SAR section is responsible to arrange for the establishment and prompt provision of search and rescue services within the Seychelles SAR region, which coincides with the Seychelles FIR, to ensure that assistance is rendered to persons in distress.
This is achieved by monitoring, communicating and coordinating SAR functions and working in close cooperation with other national and international agencies.
The CNS sub-division is located in the ANS division of the SCAA and it provides the following services:
- Aeronautical Fixed Service
- Aeronautical Mobile Service
- Aeronautical Radio Navigation Service
- Aeronautical Broadcasting Service
- Technical support to Air Traffic Management;
The CNS primary function is to ensure the highest reliability, availability, continuity, accuracy and integrity of CNS facilities for the provision of efficient and safe Air Navigation Services in the Seychelles FIR.
The CNS primary strategic objective is to invest in modern aeronautical telecommunications facilities to ensure that SCAA remains competitive in the provision of CNS services and Air traffic Management in the Seychelles FIR.
The CNS team is made up of CNS Engineering staff and they are globally referred to as “ATSEP” (Air Traffic Safety Electronic Personnel). They consist of Technicians and Engineers that are responsible for the specification, procurement, installation, calibration, maintenance, testing and certification of ground electronic system used to provide CNS and Air Traffic Management service.
All the above services are available 24 hours.